Fletch Sketch continued...

For some reason I have not been able to publish posts here for months, so I started a new blog for us to store our memories. The new address is fletchsketch.blogspot.com.

Sunday, August 31, 2008

Steve's turn...(at Sheila's request)

What I've learned in the past 11 years:

1. Jenn can't sleep with the door open even a crack (the light from the hallway bugs her). I, on the other hand, can sleep on the family room floor in full daylight for hours.

2. What a dust ruffle is (although I am still questioning why it is necessary). Along those same lines, I have learned that two good pillows are not enough for a queen sized bed. It seems that the pillows on my bed have multiplied and yet we still only use two to sleep on. Apparently, a number of the decorative pillows are too snooty to have my grubby head placed on them.

3. To follow Jenn's instincts concerning the major decisions in our lives. She is always right.

4. That the comments I make (that are seemingly benign to me) are always misinterpreted and never forgotten. For example, "You have great Halloween hair." I really just meant she could have fun at Halloween with such curls. She did not take it that way.

5. Doing the dishes for her makes her happy. Much happier than buying her something.

6. She likes to feel just as important to me as football. (Maybe even a little bit more.)

7. There is nobody else I would rather have with me to help raise my kids.

8. I never knew a package of a dozen gluten-free chocolate chip cookies could disappear so fast.

9. I never thought before I got married that the best part of my day would be sitting next to Jenn on the bed watching the 10 o'clock news. I know this makes us sound really old and boring, but it's true. At least we change the channel before the farm report comes on. I expect I will be interested in that in about 20 more years. Although I do like bacon ....

10. It's really easy to hide stuff from her. I just put it about six feet above the ground somewhere in the house and it's like it doesn't exist.

11. The best thing I've learned in the past 11 years is that the only way I can really have a good day and truly be happy is if I'm with her. I feel like a huge part of me is gone when she isn't there. I am thankful every day that I am with her. I think I got the best part of the deal.

7 comments:

Garrett and Heather Wood said...

Steve, you earned major bonus points for the cool stuff you said in this blog. I would avoid comments such as "great Halloween hair" or "stumpy legs" in the future and I foresee another good 11 years.

HG said...

My goodness Steve! And here I thought the cow on your blog page had more emotions than you. I was wrong!

Unknown said...

Wow--Hayley, you need a blog so we can all come to it and give it to you...just a little. You're hilarious! Maybe you DO have a blog. I will check.


Steve, well done. I think Jenn DOES have great Halloween hair. In fact, I think her hair is one of her greatest resources and I am mad that she keeps it so tame. If I had it, I would be the Bride of Frankenstein every year, I would finally know what it could be like to tease my hair into a big fro (something I have actually really wanted)...

Jenn--do you remember the time I tried to put your hair in rollers...absolutely ASSURED that it would straighten into big, lovely curls. I still have the vision of you after we took them out in my mind...I think of it every time I need a big laugh.


You two are awesome! I hope to be like you one day, sitting, watching farm news, hiding things at 6 feet up, and living a gluten free lifestyle.

Congrats you two!!!

Unknown said...

Hayley....you DON'T have a blog. I just checked.

Get thee a BLOG!

Steve and Angie said...

So glad to see you two still have the magic! And it is nice to see a couple who is as sappy and in love as my Steve and I!:) I love your blog, I wish I lived by you so that I could learn a little from you! I will get it! Thanks for visiting mine! I have the same problem with Swiss cheese Jen! we miss you guys! We will have to chat again soon, give me a call when you have 3 hours to spare, you know how I can get! Love ya! Ang

literaqueen said...

Bravo, Steve! Great blog entry. I'll be sure to check with you guys in twenty years if I need information on pork futures.

literaqueen said...

Hey . . . what's with the short jokes? Six feet up is NOT a funny hiding place for people who are under five foot five!