Fletch Sketch continued...

For some reason I have not been able to publish posts here for months, so I started a new blog for us to store our memories. The new address is fletchsketch.blogspot.com.

Thursday, August 28, 2008

Politics Shmolitics

I saw a news stand while I was in Washington DC last year. Someone had written the word "Lies" across the glass front. I thought it was funny, so I took a picture.
The last couple of nights we have been watching speeches given at the Democratic National Convention. It made me think of this picture because I felt that there were very few sincere words spoken. Most of them were just calculated catch phrases and well-crafted motivational chants, but there was also in equal measure a host of stinging and accusatory remarks. Not to mention the typical inflated promises that are made at EVERY political rally--promises that no one can deliver, that maybe no president ought to deliver (I wish we, as citizens, would actually try to fix most of these problems on our own, truthfully, by refusing to point fingers, but instead just doing our part to individually work harder and do more to help others). Sad thing is...I feel the exact same way every time I listen to John McCain speak. So, who, who, WHO should I vote for?

Later on we saw a comedy routine given by Lewis Black (for whom I don't especially care) and he suggested we elect the first "dead" president. Ronald Reagan was his first choice. Just picture it--that first inauguration day. We could carry his coffin right up the stairs and prop up his corpse while he was sworn in to office...wouldn't THAT scare the bageebees (sp?) out of all those other world powers who weren't afraid to crash themselves into skyscrapers just to bring about our downfall? That'd show them! We've got a DEAD president. We're CRAAAAZY! Don't mess with us!!!

Seriously, if it is between Obama, McCain or a dead Ronald Reagan...I think I'd pick the dead guy at this point.

7 comments:

Brock Bean said...

I'd vote for the dead guy too... I find solace in the fact that it took a Carter to deliver a Reagan. It helps me prepare mentally and emotionally for an Obama win.

literaqueen said...

Wait- you were in DC last year and you didn't come visit me? Bad Jenn! I was only three and a half hours away . . .

Fletch said...

Ah, Sheila. Don't be mad. We flew into Richmond and stayed with my sister in Williamsburg for a few days...they monopolized us and took us around Jamestown and Yorktown (which really did take up the bulk of the trip) then Steve and I went to Washington DC for a day. So for most of the trip we were really more like six hours away with family--greedy family (just kidding Hayley).

Someday I want to make a trip down to that neck of the woods and hit Gettysburg, etc. It would be lots of fun.

HG said...

Hey, there's always Nader ... always ... and it is almost certain he will run after he is dead, because he wouldn't be Nader if he didn't.

Garrett and Heather Wood said...

Let me see, who would I vote for? I think I'd vote for Bishop Stewart--he's the best organized and most get it done guy and I liked his "assume no one wants to talk to you" policy in sacrament meeting--that would probably help out somewhere in government.

HG said...

We monopolized you? No no no. We barely saw them Sheila! They were off on their own everyday, gallivanting with the local barman. We both were jilted!

Fletch said...

Liar! (That's for Hayley.)