Fletch Sketch continued...

For some reason I have not been able to publish posts here for months, so I started a new blog for us to store our memories. The new address is fletchsketch.blogspot.com.

Monday, August 18, 2008

Hate/Love Day (The first day of school...)

Today is the first day of school for Laura (now in 4th grade) and Lincoln (in 3rd). Unlike the second day of school (and all the way through the 150th day) the kids actually raced through their morning chores. I LOVE that part. What I HATE? Arriving at the school ten minutes before we are even allowed to drop them off, only to find the parking lot looking like this:

Uhh...hello? Double parking? I don't think so...

We had to park a mile away from the school to insure that I could get out of the parking lot sometime before the dismisal bell rang at 1:55 pm. I almost forgot the reason I decided all those years ago to drive my kids to school, rather than letting them walk the twenty minutes alone. (At the end of the previous school year the kids brought up that very same issue. They asked it of me while I was driving them home. In answer to their question, "Why can't we walk home?" I pointed to a man just standing on the corner. He stands there many days, morning or afternoon, on the corner, staring vacantly ahead. "That--," I said, pointing to the man, "--is the reason you cannot walk home from school." "But why?" asked Lincoln. "Do you think he will kidnap us, or something? How do you know he is a bad guy? He could just be waiting for a ride." I roll my eyes. Obviously, the great pains I have taken to brainwash my kids into being as fearful, judgemental and pessimistic as I am have all been in vain. "Yes, but Lincoln," I said. "You don't know for certain. And I won't risk it. What if he really is a bad guy?" To which Laura replied, "Yeah, Lincoln, what if..." And that was when I sighed in relief. At least one of my kids has picked up on my paranoia.)

Here are pictures of the kids in front of the school:






Isaac and Noelle, excited to get the house (and the toys) to themselves:

6 comments:

Unknown said...

As funny as it may seem, I am nervous for my first day of school (with students) in exactly one week! I don't know what to wear or say or do to make them fear me and adore me all at the same time!

Agh!

Glad that Laura is the What if girl.....that's a hard road to walk as a parent, I can't imagine. However, I have such a vivid imagination that my kids will be lucky if I let them even use utensils! (just eat with your hands, what if you poke your eye out with the wrong end of the spoon!!! AHHHHHH!!!)

HG said...

Ahhh! They are so stinkin cute! What teacher did Lincoln get?

literaqueen said...

Yeah, parking around Kirkwood isn't too great. Makes you wish you still lived on 19th Avenue and could walk them to school, huh? You COULD walk them to school, you know . . .

Fletch said...

No, Sheila, I will only walk in 75 degree weather, and how often does that come around in Iowa?

Sugar Jones said...

Look at those cute little faces all ready for the first day in their carefuly chosen outfits and nicely combed hair. I used to LOVE the first days of school! I'm looking forward to starting up with the kids again this year, though we won't be going anywhere. We are, however, preparing our study area for optimal homeschooling. My daughter has chosen my old Thinking Chair as her favorite learning spot. So sweet, aren't they?

PS: I say you dress up as a meter maid and start walking around with a pen and pad of paper and see how quickly that parking lot clears up. Hahaha.

Carmell said...

I don't miss Kirkwood's crazy parking lot! My kids and I had some very similar conversations about walking home from Kirkwood while we wlived there. And, like you, I continued to drive them and try to get them to buy into my paranoia! I hope it worked!