Fletch Sketch continued...

For some reason I have not been able to publish posts here for months, so I started a new blog for us to store our memories. The new address is fletchsketch.blogspot.com.

Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Two-Part Recession Fun

The Historical Society Museum

1) It's free

2) After a visit, whenever your kids complain about anything (like dinner, or how few toys they have) you'll forever be able to moralize about how much more kids have now than they did in the past.

Here's Laura at the Mormon handcart pioneer display. She's smiling, but the manequins actually creeped her out a bit. Also, if you push a button it plays, "Come, Come Ye Saints", which I started to sing outloud but stopped and felt stupid when I realized there were other people in the room besides us.


Isaac was excited by the milling stone, though he didn't know what it was. Once I told him, he lost interest.


Noelle and a really old bike.


Lincoln loved the old typewriter he could actually type on.



Fun for the kiddies. (Though Laura wouldn't let us touch anything! She's so strict!)



The collections room. They are actually looking for volunteers...my dream job! So in ten years, stop in and wave at me through this window. (And, yes, I am really an 80 year-old in a 32 year-old body. Except when I watch Hannah Montana...but I only watch it at 10:00PM when Steve's at work because I get scared after the kids go to bed when I'm alone.)

The cool car museum next door.




Only you'll get in trouble if you let your kids do this:
(So why do they even have those kid-tempting fun machines, you ask? I wondered that myself. However, I did feel bad and made sure the older gentleman witnessed us dropping a dollar bill into the donation box.)


Then we thought we would cap off our historical adventure with a visit to the old Coralville Schoolhouse on 5th Street, which was built in 1876 (?).






The shady, grassy area next door (no doubt where students a century ago played) just screams "Next time bring a picnic!" We're going to have to go back one of these days.

4 comments:

The Conductor said...

Look at you, being all educational on your little summer outings! Very nice.

I do not remember the historical society museum. We will have to check it out the next time we're in IC! I do remember the schoolhouse. My great-great-etc. grandfather paid for the land it's on (he owned the mill down the street) and required the building always be used for public good. (History fascinates me too...though maybe not enough to admit being an 80-year old in disguise...?)

BTW, your comments and captions just crack me up. Always.

HG said...

That museum reminds me of the one Stars Hollow makes in an episode of Gilmore Girls.

Emily Norby said...

I can add three more things to my 'places to take people when they visit' list.

Thanks for the review and tips! We'll not make this outing without a picnic :)

literaqueen said...

You were actually able to go in at a time the museum was open?!? I'm impressed! It's open what, maybe 25 minutes in any given week? I passed that museum on the bus every single day and kept making mental notes to go when it was open, but I never managed to match my schedule with the visiting hours.

My grandma had a typewriter like the one in the photo. I remember typing on it.

Fun!