Fletch Sketch continued...

For some reason I have not been able to publish posts here for months, so I started a new blog for us to store our memories. The new address is fletchsketch.blogspot.com.

Saturday, June 20, 2009

Yucky


Yesterday morning I woke up with a cold sore on my lip.

I think most people don't like getting cold sores, but I especially dread them because mine are always enormous. Today it is ten times the size it was yesterday (about a half inch now) and my entire upper lip is swollen to the point where it hurts to talk. Or eat. Or smile. Or even think about smiling.

All my life I've been getting them, though I haven't had one for about five years now. They come on in times of stress or illness or when I am simply run down. So I am not surprised I have one. I've been dreading June for a while now. Lots going on this month.

My first memory of getting cold sores was when I was in first grade. It was a pretty severe case that covered both of my lips. It was so bad, my mother served me runny Cream of Wheat through a straw three times a day. I missed two weeks of school.

From then on I panicked whenever I knew one was coming. I usually missed school for a few days and hid from the world. My embarrassment was made worse when I was in junior high and a boy in my ward announced at a youth activity, "Don't kiss Jennifer! She gets cold sores!" I had no intention of kissing anyone back then, but that single comment made me more paranoid than ever.

The first day of starting high school, I woke up with a honking one. I knew I couldn't miss school so I put a band aid over it and told everyone I ran into our entertainment center and had to get stitches.

Many times when I was in hiding, I would cry piteously in my room and think all sorts of over-dramatic things like, "I am a monster!" and "No one will ever marry me!!!"

I didn't get any cold sores at all when I was in college. But a few months after I was married, I did. I remember waking up in the morning thinking Steve would shrink away in horror from me. But he hardly noticed and the only thing he ever said about it was, "I miss kissing you. I can't wait till that thing is healed."

Now, after all these years, I can laugh about it more. I'm still grossed out and afraid of grossing out others, but within a week it will be mostly gone and who really cares after all? Not Steve. Not even my kids, whom I thought would be afraid of me a little, at least the littlest one. Instead Noelle occasionally points to it and says, "Mommy owie?" and then she plops herself in my lap. Lincoln prayed yesterday that "Mom's lip would heal fast" and Laura said something like, "We don't care if you look gross. So long as you make our food and clean the house for us."

So that's that.

(Laura's comment triggered in my mind all sorts of retorts, but that's a topic for a whole other post.)

9 comments:

HG said...

You ARE a MONSTER! j/k:)

The Spradlin Family said...

I don't remember you having cold sores growing up. Sorry you have to deal with that. I get a canker (sp?) sore on the roof of my mouth, right on the nerve of my front tooth, every couple of months and it hurts like "you know what". We are both monsters! :)

Chelsea said...

It's OK. We won't be at church tomorrow either. I hope it's not too painful for you.

literaqueen said...

I wonder if canker sores are viral like cold sores. I get them all the time when I'm stressed. The only difference is people can't see them.

I did, though, start getting weird skin rashes on the corners of my mouth after Dad died. Again, stress related. Why does stress DO this to people? I hope your cold sore's better soon!

Emily Norby said...

Yeah, I don't care if you look gross either if you'll still watch my kids for me and drop treats by once in awhile. :)

Thankfully, June is almost over. Hang in there!

Polyglot said...

Hopefully it is mostly healed by Youth Conference! Today the Bishop said that the chaperones have to stay with the chaperonees (i.e. us). Since you have to stay with your kids at night we probably have to stay chez toi!!!!!!!!

The Conductor said...

So you don't want to know that I've never had a cold sore in my life? Okay, I won't tell you.

Chelsea said...

So, how are the lips feeling these days?

Fletch said...

Oh, they're improving. Not as quickly as I'd like, but that's okay...