Fletch Sketch continued...

For some reason I have not been able to publish posts here for months, so I started a new blog for us to store our memories. The new address is fletchsketch.blogspot.com.

Saturday, January 29, 2011

I'm a little gassy, but I'm loving these anyway.

This amazing black bean recipe.

I got it off my new favorite vegetarian blog (even though I am not vegetarian). The blog author is a professional chef and all of her recipes are completely healthy and full of great veggies.

The first time I made this, I took a bite to be sure it was seasoned correctly, and the next thing I knew I had eaten half of the pan. I almost didn't have enough left for the rest of the family. The next time I made it I doubled it so I could eat as much as I wanted. This recipe is actually supposed to go over a wonderful rice recipe (made with tomatillo salsa, garlic, oregano, cumin, red onion, then at the end you fold in sour cream and cheese...amazing), then topped with guacamole and tomatoes. I made the entire dish a couple of weeks ago and we really loved it. But it was a bit labor-intensive for me. This time I just made the beans and topped it with guacamole and tomatoes and ate it with a spoon. The rest of the family had corn chips and cheese with it.

The recipe:

Vegetarian Black Beans

2+ Tbsp olive oil
1 red onion, finely diced
1 red bell pepper, finely diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp ground cumin
2 cans black beans, drained

Heat oil in pan. Saute onion, red pepper, and salt for 5 minutes. Add garlic and cumin (and more oil if you need it) and saute for 3 additional minutes. Lower heat and add black beans. Add a couple of tablespoons of water, if necessary. Serve when beans are warmed throughout.

4 comments:

Sarah said...

I've been feeling like I need to find a way to get more veggies into my diet lately. What blog is it that you visit?

Emily Norby said...

I really love black beans. Like REALLY love. I'll definitely have to give this recipe a go!

Fletch said...

Sarah, just click on the link "Dana" under my "other bloggers" list. She does have a lot of tofu-type recipes and a bunch with ingredients I would never cook with, but a few of the ones I've tried have been real winners...like her sweet potato fries. My kids ate those like they were real french fries. They've never had so much vitamin A and fiber in one sitting!

Becky said...

Love your title!