Fletch Sketch continued...

For some reason I have not been able to publish posts here for months, so I started a new blog for us to store our memories. The new address is fletchsketch.blogspot.com.

Monday, November 9, 2009

Making dinner from scratch: How to determine when the effort is not worth the savings.

To all you women out there who read this blog (all three of you, and I'm not sure any of you fall into this catagory) who enjoy cooking and have a high tolerance for working in a hot kitchen, chopping and stirring and kneading and rolling and scrubbing and whatever, I just wanted to say to you...

You have a gift.

And you should not take it for granted.

This stupid pot pie nearly did me in. Just one course. No sides. But it was made completely from scratch (which means that a can of Campbell's cream of chicken soup was not on the list of ingredients) and it was like seventy degrees outside (in November--unheard of) and that meant it was eighty-five degrees in my kitchen and my baby kept pooping in random locations in my house and my kids were all cranky, which all factor into my decision to never make this again!



Yeah, and the carrots didn't even cook all the way through. They were a little crunchy.

The surprise of the night: Noelle liked it. So did Laura (though she did not feel picture-ready).
So did Steve. Or so he said. Though he was the one who tipped me off on the carrots.
The boys wanted me to take their pictures, but they didn't deserve to have their pictures taken. They thought the pot pie was foul. Which begs the question: Is it worth it to make a meal--even if it is cheap, even if it is wholesome--when only half of the family will eat it? And another question: Why can't Steve just get on board with the whole "peanut butter and jelly sandwhiches for dinner every night" idea?

5 comments:

The Conductor said...

#1, nope, I don't fall into that category. Darn it!

Secondly, no can of Campbell's cream of chicken soup?? You mean you can make that stuff from scratch?!

Third, I bet the pot pie tasted sooooooo much better because you made the cream of chicken part from scracth.

Fourth, I like your "natural consequences" type of punishment for the boys who did not like it. You diss my food? You forget about your face getting published online tonight!

And fifth, to answer the subject title question... I'm inclined to say if it's something YOU like, but it's still a pain in the hind end to make, then do it occasionally and remind the picky eaters about those starving kids in Africa. If YOU don't even eat it, then I say there's no savings large enough nor effort small enough to make it worth even attempting.

Sixth, maybe you can make Steve's most abhorred dinner item for 5 days in a row before serving PBJ's?

And seventh (wow this was a long comment), I think I'll make chicken pot pie tomorrow. But I have a pie crust in the freezer and a can of cream of chicken soup on the shelf, so I'm sure it won't turn out nearly as good as yours!!

Unknown said...

I made one of those from scratch once.



ONCE.

CSIowa said...

I have never done this.

AOlson said...

I'm sorry that your cooking adventure wasn't pleasant, but at least you had the gumption to try! I don't ever plan on attempting to make cream of chicken from scratch. You deserve 568 cooking points for that alone!

literaqueen said...

I'm impressed with ALL of the pie being from scratch-- you get some serious martyr points. The pie did look good, though.