Fletch Sketch continued...

For some reason I have not been able to publish posts here for months, so I started a new blog for us to store our memories. The new address is fletchsketch.blogspot.com.

Monday, September 7, 2009

Intro to baseball.

Today our family had it's first minor league baseball experience. And...

On the way, Steve and I had a disturbing revelation as we drove to Cedar Rapids (aka The Big City, population 200,000) and pulled off the freeway onto one of the "major" roads:

Laura: "Wow! Look at all the big buildings!"

Mom and Dad (shaking heads): "When was the last time we went to a big city? We need to go to Chicago some time."

Lincoln (as we pull up to the baseball park): "Wow! It's gigantic!"

Mom and Dad (still shaking heads): "We are dorks."

Apparently we are turning our kids into small town hicks since we never take them anywhere or do anything. Anyway, here are some pictures of us humble folks enjoying the local game.

Can't stay serious very long in this family.


At the ticket counter.

Walking through the concession stands ("Wow! I didn't know there were this many people on the earth!" Just kidding, no one actually said that.)

The game in session. Go Kernels!




















All in all, a fun time, though the kids were relieved to get back home so they could change back into overalls and chew on straw.

6 comments:

literaqueen said...

You know, I never made it to the big city for a Kernels game . . .

Okay, so I went to Pittsburgh for my first baseball experience. Oh, and um, it was major league-- a very, very bad team, but still major league.

Not to rub it in or anything. You hick. (hee hee!) Glad Noelle found the bleachers so fascinating.

And the Kernel mascot guy would have freaked me out. Hope I don't have nightmares tonight.

HG said...

Wow, I would agree that you were hicks were it not for your fashionable sunglasses! Oh, and what's with not commenting on my blog anymore?

The Spradlin Family said...

I think that last line in this post is my favorite thing you've ever typed. That was hilarious! Very cute post!

It's great when you can laugh about your kids upbringing. Last time we went home to Arkansas, Tyler had taken his shoes off on the airplane. As we were about to deplane, I told Kevin that there was no way Tyler was going to go barefoot all week. Kevin then reminded me that we were in the south, so it was perfectly acceptable to go everywhere barefoot. Fun times. Fun times.

The Wiser Side said...

I thought we lived in a cute small farmy town-pop 200,000-maybe we need to come and visit the hicks ;)

The Conductor said...

I remember going to a Kernels game. That was when we were fairly new to Iowa City and it was the smallest place I'd ever lived in. Even Cedar Rapids was smaller than anywhere I'd lived. ...Now that we live in Sterling, however, IC has become the Big Town to us! When we visited a few months ago, I found myself exclaiming, "Oh! They have a Target!" I was shocked at how big IC "really" is... Anytime your kids wanna chew on straw with mine, come on over.

karen said...

I'm sorry, but when your team is named the Kernels, you're hicks. It just how it is. I can say that because I'm a hick, too. Thanks for making me smile tonight! That thar straw ain't so bad, ain't it?