Fletch Sketch continued...

For some reason I have not been able to publish posts here for months, so I started a new blog for us to store our memories. The new address is fletchsketch.blogspot.com.

Saturday, December 26, 2009

Christmas Morning (OR...After opening gifts, why do I even bother making a nice breakfast?)

Pre-opening:

Mid-opening:

Post-opening: (Chaos Tower...more to come later this week...)

Duel-action light saber, the wrong color...oops, Santa (or Target, why did you only have one color in stock?)...

Scooter (Isaac: "This scooter is so much better than all my friends' scooters. It doesn't go 'bumpity bump' like theirs do. Mom: "That's because you're riding it on the carpet and the carpet isn't uneven like the sidewalk outside." Isaac, with crestfallen expression: "Oh.")
Webkins dragon. Yeah, I thought it was pretty pathetic, too, but we got an earload the rest of the day on all sorts of "Lava Dragon" facts and details...oh my goodness...I think Laura liked her other gifts, too, but I couldn't be sure, there was so much dragon mumbo jumbo.

Okay, Santa scored big with this one. Noelle played with this ALL day (like ten hours), and the next morning woke up and came into my bedroom (like she always does every morning to say "I'm hungry" or "I'm thirsty" or "I'm poopy") and she said..."I like my castle."


I admit Laura liked the books she received. (Did I mention they were books about dragons?)

***Here's an important announcement.***

I'm starting a new Christmas Eve tradition in our house: FASTING ALL DAY.

Because I am SICK of working for hours in the kitchen creating lovely glutinous food I CANNOT EAT, so that my family can have a special Christmas breakfast, the kind that I loved when I was a kid and came to associate and differentiate Christmas morning from all the other mornings...(ranting here)...obviously they don't appreciate it and would rather have cold cereal, or better yet, the PRINGLES they got in their stockings! Whatever!!! I made one of my favorites from my own childhood, apple fritters, and it took some work, I tell you, and it made me SAD I couldn't have any, but my kids just did not care...and now there are lots and lots of leftovers that only Steve will eat...and don't they still look pretty the day after?

Steve did make a turkey for me that I could eat. And he also spent hours on this puzzle for all of us to enjoy. And we did lounge about the rest of the day in our pajamas, reading and napping and eating chocolate and eventually turkey, so that by the afternoon, I was enjoying Christmas like everyone else.
So it's all good. But next year we're having Lucky Charms, bacon (for me), and Pringles for breakfast.

7 comments:

Emily Norby said...

Do your kids sleep in their 'day clothes' (as my kids would call them) Christmas Eve night?

If not, I'm mighty impressed you have them all ready for the day PRIOR to opening presents.

Wait...I just remembered you said you hung out all day in your pajamas. I'm sorry, now I'm confused. Or just stupid. I always performed poorly on the comprehension portion of any test I ever took.

Emily Norby said...

p.s. the apple fritters look amazing!

CSIowa said...

My mother always made us eat breakfast before we could even SEE the room where the tree and gifts were laid out. And brush our teeth, comb our hair (for the video camera), and MAKE OUR BEDS. I think it's the one day a year when we ever did that. We got to stay in our pajamas.

My kids should count themselves lucky that I only make them eat breakfast before they get to dive in to presents. They wanted to get around that this year. I even considered it, but my husband vetoed skipping the pre-present breakfast. Of course, I compensate by not feeding them the rest of the day. Piece of gingerbread house, anyone?

HG said...

It makes me wish we were there!

Unknown said...

I can't believe your kids were in regular clothes on Christmas morning.

Those fritters look good. How can you have control to not eat them?

The Conductor said...

Scooter commentary was hilarious. Impressive puzzle. Fritters look absolutely delicious. And, you really are a saint, I tell you -- to make food like that that you can't even eat?? Can't blame you for the Pringles Breakfast decision.

literaqueen said...

The fritters look amazing. I need to learn how to make them.